Stale bread is great for dunking in this tasty, gooey mixture.
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
400 ml dry white wine
450g Gruyere cheese grated
450g Vacherin Fribourgeois grated
Half tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp corn flour or rice flour
Bread for dipping
1. Rub the garlic around the inside of a ceramic or heavy saucepan, then remove the pieces
2. Add the wine and warm it over low heat.
3. Start by SLOWLY adding the cheese and stir vigorously, but slowly, IN ONE DIRECTION only. The cheese will start to melt.
4. When the molten cheese becomes uniform in consistency, add the nutmeg, pepper, and lemon juice.
5. Stir together the corn flour and a little water. Add to the fondue, to thicken slightly. This is an important step.
6. If the fondue is too liquid, add more corn flour, mixed with a few drops of water. If too thick, add more wine.
7. Cut the bread in pieces (crusty bread is best) and dunk away!