Ribollita - Tuscan Soup
The quintessential Tuscan winter soup made from bread and hearty vegetables.
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic grated or crushed
1 onion, chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red chilli pepper flakes
1 carrot chopped
1 stick of celery chopped
1 tin tomatoes
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 potato peeled and diced
450g kale chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tin cannellini beans rinsed and drained
4-6 thick slices of stale bread torn into pieces
1 litre water
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and chilli flakes. Sweat the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrot and celery with a pinch of salt and cook gently for 10 minutes.
3. Crush the tomatoes with your hands.
4. Pour the tomatoes (and juice) into the pan with the thyme, potato, and 800ml water. When boiling turn to simmer for 20 minutes
5. Add kale with the rest of the water, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Partially cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the canned beans and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
7. Stir in the bread and serve with a drizzle of spicy Tuscan extra-virgin olive oil. The soup should be thickened by the bread, but not dry.